Coconut oil is a key food in reversing diabetes. To fully comprehend and appreciate this, you need to first put aside all the false information you've been blasted with for most, if not all, of your life. Coconut oil is a saturated fat and you've probably been brainwashed into believing that saturated fats are bad - research proves just the opposite is true! While coconut oil is one of the healthiest fats anyone can eat, for diabetics it can literally be a life saver. Unfortunately, most people actually think canola oil is more healthier than coconut oil. However, nothing could be further from the truth. Canola oil is toxic.
If you are interested in how to reverse diabetes, you have probably seen a lot written about reducing sugars and and restricting carbs in your diet. However, it turns out what oils and fats you eat may be more important to reversing your diabetes than carbs, and in fact, oils like trans fat that have been chemically altered in the lab may be one of the primary culprit in causing type 2 diabetes.
Trans fats cause diabetes by damaging your cell membranes. Unfortunately, the food industry has been putting large amounts of of these trans fats into the food supply since the late 1920's which is when the first cases of type 2 diabetes showed up and puzzled doctors around the world. Trans fat is also found in canola oil, which has been heavily promoted by the food industry as a "heart-healthy oil." This is false! It is essentially poison and you should eliminate all trans fat and all canola oil from your diet immediately if you want to cure your diabetes. I don't care how much exercise you do, how much weight you lose, and how diligent you are about avoiding sugar -- if you don't eliminate trans fat and canola oil 100% from your diet, you will be fighting an uphill battle at the very best. It is an essential step to reversing diabetes (but not the only step by any means - click on the red button at the top for complete details).
There are several benefits to using coconut oil if you are a diabetic. I am going to outline some of the benefits below but you should keep in mind that there are others and that I am only scratching the surface of what you really need to know.
Here are some of the benefits of using coconut oil if you have diabetes:
1. Coconut oil is one of the few oils you can cook with on medium heat and not create trans fat. Again, trans fat causes diabetes and if you continue to consume it while trying to reverse your diabetes, you will likely fail. Please note that cooking with olive oil on medium heat creates trans fat. Also note that you should avoid cooking with any oil on high heat.
2. Consumption of coconut oil lowers blood sugar significantly! Whether you cook with it or just take a spoonful right out of the jar every day, research has shown that coconut oil lowers blood sugar. I personally love the taste but be sure to buy ORGANIC and UNREFINED coconut oil or you will defeat the purpose. Refined coconut oil eliminates all the coconut taste but it also contains trans fat.
3. Coconut oil lowers the glycemic index (GI) of any food it is added to. So if you eat a cookie containing coconut oil vs the same cookie with canola oil substituted, the coconut oil cookie will have a lower glycemic index than the canola oil cookie (which is toxic). The lower the GI, the less a food should raise your blood sugar. Coconut oil literally slows down how fast your stomach empties food.
4. Coconut oil makes insulin work more efficiently with your cell membranes. Other the other hand, highly refined long-chained polyunsaturated vegetable oils and canola oil make your cell membranes brittle. When this happens, insulin can't do its job as well.
5. Cultures that used to use coconut oil almost exclusively never developed diabetes UNTIL they switched to polyunsaturated oils and canola oil. Then, there was a sudden surge in type 2 diabetes cases.
6. Coconut oil is a medium chained fatty acid (MCFA), which allows it to be taken up by your cells WITHOUT the aid of insulin. In other words, coconut oil can nurture your cells/body without needing insulin which means your body will be less taxed than when you eat polyunsaturated oils, canola oil, and even olive oil which all require insulin, your pancreas, and your liver to work over-time. Coconut oil is literally put in IV's and baby formula because it is so easily taken up by the cells.
7. Coconut oil helps protect you from infections and inflammation which is so common in diabetics because the immune system is often so compromised.
8. Coconut oil has been shown to help people to lose weight, not gain weight like the canola oil manufacturers would have you believe. It speeds up the metabolism and is burned immediately by the body instead of being store as fat in the body like most other fats are. Losing weight is important to reversing diabetes. Keep in mind that when farmers tried to fatten their hogs by feeding them coconut oil (they did so because it used to be cheap), the hogs actually lost weight instead of gaining weight!
There are many other benefits of coconut oil to the diabetic that I don't even mention here and I've literally only scratched the surface of what you really need to know if you want to reverse diabetes. If you are serious about reversing diabetes, the most important thing you can get is NOT medication - it is information! You need a comprehensive source of information that unfortunately I can not provide in full on my personal blog although I do try to help as much as I can. What I can do is point you in the right direction to get the best and most comprehensive information on how to reverse your diabetes.